Joining Big “D”
Joining is quick and easy. Here are the important things to know:
Who can join Big D Toastmasters?
If you’re at least 18 years of age and are committed to becoming a stronger speaker and leader, you can join! We also strongly recommend visiting at least three Big “D” meetings before applying for membership, so that you can be sure this is the place for you.
How do I apply for membership?
Simply pick up a membership application at any meeting from our Membership Officer, and fill it out. (This takes about three minutes). When you’re ready, you can submit your completed form, and pay your dues with check, cash, or credit card. That’s it! There’s also the formality of being inducted into the club, but that’s the fun part.
What is the purpose of the three visit recommendation?
Visiting three meetings will give you a feeling for what our club is like. You’ll see experienced speakers practicing advanced skills, new members participating for the first time, and everything in between. You’ll get a feel for how we run our meetings, and how attending them on a weekly basis fits into your schedule. The last thing we want is for new members to discover after joining that Big “D” membership just doesn’t work for them. When you “try before you buy,” you can jump in with both eyes open.
What are the advantages of being a member of Big “D” Toastmasters?
There are several, but primarily it is that you are joining Dallas’ oldest Toastmasters group with a large, active membership. Most of our members have joined within the past 2 years, but we have a number of members who have been in the club for 10 years or more. That diverse membership ensures there’s always someone at a comparable experience level with you, but that there are also experienced mentors to support you.
We are also a very supportive, welcoming club and we make a conscious effort to insure our meetings provide a supportive and safe environment where learning is fun, and making mistakes is understood as part of the process of becoming better.
What is the cost to become a member?
Our membership dues are $90 per 6 month period. That enrolls you with Toastmasters International and provides you with your initial speech manuals and supplies.
Some employers recognize the professional benefits of the training provided by Toastmasters clubs to our members, so check with your employer to see if they may reimburse you for some or all of the cost of your membership dues.
I’m already in (or was in) another Toastmasters club. When happens then?
Three situations are possible:
- Current member in good standing in another club? You can transfer your membership to Big “D” Toastmasters.
- Member of a Toastmasters club in the past, but not any more? Your membership can be reinstated.
- Want to retain membership in your current club and join our club as well? Your membership can be a “dual” membership, in which you continue to be a member of multiple clubs.
What do I get as a member?
- A Competent Communication Manual – the basic training manual Subscription to Toastmasters International Magazine (monthly)
- Access to an assigned mentor for advice and support
- An allegedly gold plated Toastmasters pin, although we’re all a little skeptical about the ‘gold’ part.
- Participation in all club meetings and events
- An opportunity to speak at each and every meeting.
How can I find out more?
The easiest way is to drop in on a meeting and chat with us. Alternatively, you can contact us via our Contact Page.