One of the main reasons people get into professional speaking is because they wish to earn some significant money. With dreams of stardom and hopes of possessing the Mercedes and the million dollar residence, they set off in search of getting highly paid jobs only to get brought down by rejection after rejection. After doing some research they find that most of their starting events will be free speaking functions. What?
If "free" is a horrendous four letter word in your career lexicon, you'll need to find out the importance and value that "free" can really offer. There are significant benefits that come with professional speaking for free including having the ability to market your back of the room goods where you can actually benefit. You'll be acquiring new knowledge and constructing your customer list.
1. "Free" still gets your name on the market. The more individuals who hear you speak, the more people there will be to purchase your product line and recommend you to other people are trying to find professional speakers. For example, speaking for free for an organization like a Rotary Club or Elks Club can result in paying projects because a lot of the participants who come from this association have companies of their own or are in roles in their professions where they are the decision makers to "hire" speakers.
2. You can still have the opportunity to sell your product lines at these free professional speaking engagements. Data show that back of the room products account for over 50% of professional speaking earnings. Advertise your business and promote your product lines in the exact same place! At the minimum, you will have the ability to refer them to your website to learn more or also, to buy products and books. The more folks that listen to you, the more possibilities you'll have.
3. Complimentary speaking opportunities are still opportunities where you can produce a video tape of yourself. Many speaker agency and meeting organizers will not hire you in the absence of viewing a video tape of your presentation. In addition to that, many organizations like the Rotary Club or Elks Club have individuals who can help you produce your video. Can you trade services?
4. Free speaking engagements are a great place to meet and greet. Hopefully by now you understand that you need to get your name on the market. In order to get your name out there, you'll have to be out there. You can still mingle with your audience as well as network with conference planners for the event.
5. A free of charge speaking event is still a fantastic reason to send out a news release. If you're searching for a reason to send out press releases about yourself or your profession, use complimentary speaking engagements. Send them to regional newspapers and a variety of online sites that have a "to-do in your area" segment. This is just an additional way to get the word out about your operation.
Professional speaking for no cost has its benefits. What you'll need to find out next is how to take advantage of these free activities into referrals and product sales. As you carry this out, more individuals will learn about you and your business will be well on its way to victory!
Big "D" Toastmasters in Dallas, Texas, is always welcoming of guests to visit our club and see what Toastmasters is all about. We may be the club for you, we may not. You won't know until you visit us.
To learn more about Big "D" Toastmasters click here.
For meeting time and location, click here.
Want to join? Learn more here.